About This Blog

The name of this blog comes from a name my husband gave me years ago. It started out as just a simple knitting blog, to show off my creations to the world. But with all that has gone on in my world, I have changed it to show how knitting and other crafts are helping me deal with my anxiety and depression. I'm hoping that this might play a small part in showing the world that these mental disorders are not something to fear or be ashamed of, but something that we must work through as a part of life.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Reviews day Tuesday Leviathan Wakes

So I've been thinking about ways to create more content, and I figured bringing back Reviews day Tuesday.

This week I'd like to talk about Leviathan Wakes. I first read this years ago, it was on display at the local library, and I'm so glad that I checked it out. I recently picked it back up again seeing as SyFy started creating a TV show based off of it.

So this book is based on the near future. Humans have colonized the solar system, but have hit a road block leaving it. You can travel to the moons of Jupiter if you'd like, but it's going to take a few months to get there. 

It's a true sea voyage among the stars. 

The main characters, Holden and Miller, couldn't be more different from each other. Holden is an XO on an ice hauler traveling from Saturn, Miller a contract security officer on the asteroid Ceres. I wouldn't call Miller a dirty cop, he's far from it, but he does 

Holden is honest to a fault, which causes problems for the local governments. He's the type of person that thinks that taking the moral high ground is always the best solution. It's very interesting to watch him realize how his actions have consequences.

My favorite thing about this book is just how realistic it is. This is how things will be in the not so distant future. How gravity effects the human race, how the space politics work. James S. A. Corey does an excellent job of properly describing and breaking everything down without it feeling like he has to hold our hands through it. That's always been a pet peeve of mine. I love authors that realize and expect their readers to be smart enough to pick up on things quickly.

Well, that's my review of Leviathan Wakes, by James. S. A. Corey. If there's any other books that any of you might like for me to review, leave a suggestion in the comments below. It'd be fun. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment